Makeup, skincare, and perfumes are just some of the many offerings from Maybelline, an American cosmetics company with a global reach. Thomas Lye Williams established the business in 1915. L’Oréal, a French cosmetics corporation, bought it in 1996 due to its great commercial approach and unique goods.
Maybelline, based in New York City, quickly expanded to a global presence and is now sold in over 129 countries. More than two hundred items are available through the firm, which uses cutting-edge scientific formulations to back its excellent client service. This company is one of the principal backers of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York.
Tracing the History of Maybelline Cosmetics
Maybelline was founded by Thomas Lyle Williams in 1915, making it almost a century old. The cosmetics industry has long intrigued Williams, a chemist, because of their effects on the skin. While in his early 20s, he observed his sister Maybel using a blend of Vaseline and coal dust on her lashes to give them a thicker and darker appearance.
Inspired by his sister’s makeup routine, Williams created a product in his chemical lab to compete with it. He called it Lash-Brow-line and sold it to local customers, who found it trendy in the area. But Williams quickly realized that the formula’s ungainly moniker was hampering its widespread adoption. He rebranded the eye cosmetic as Maybelline to pay tribute to his sister.
Maybelline Cake Mascara was introduced in 1917, and the Maybelline New York Company soon followed. It was marketed as “the first modern eye cosmetic for everyday use” The product was first sold exclusively via mail order. However, its sudden popularity led to increased requests for it at pharmacies.
Maybelline’s Pioneering Use of Radio Advertising for Cosmetics
Maybelline added a range of eyeshadows, eyeliners, and a red Eyebrow Pencil to its product line in the following years. In the 1920s and 1930s, Maybelline was one of the most popular cosmetics lines, encouraging many young people to love how they looked.
Maybelline made history in the 1930s by airing radio commercials for the first time. As a result, sales increased, and in 1932, Maybelline released an exclusive 10-cent version of its best-selling Cake Mascara.
The company’s initial brow pencils were introduced alongside a three-step application procedure, demonstrated by the famous American actress and model Betty Grable. Because of this, Grable may be considered the “pioneer” of all future cosmetics how-to videos. Maybelline said that even though many women couldn’t afford new clothes during the Great Depression, they could definitely afford new eyeshadow.
View this post on Instagram
Maybelline’s Growth Through Acquisitions and Brand Evolutions
In 1967, Thomas Williams sold his high-end shaving product line to Schering-Plough, a pharmaceutical corporation, after the passing of his friend and business partner Emery Shaver. Given that Schering-Plough had its headquarters in Memphis, Tennessee, Maybelline’s manufacturing operations were relocated there from Chicago.
The first line of lip cosmetics was introduced by the firm in 1974, hence broadening its product offerings. Kissing Sticks, Kissing Potion, and Kissing Koolers were among them. As one would expect from a product with the Maybelline name, it lived up to the brand’s reputation for sophistication. It was immediately the talk of the beauty world.
Maybelline expanded into Arkansas the following year, 1975, opening a location in Little Rock while maintaining its headquarters in Memphis. In 1990, Maybelline changed hands again when the company was purchased by the boutique investment firm Wasserstein Perella & Co.
L’Oréal, the French cosmetics behemoth, bought the firm in 1996 and has been running it since. L’Oréal, the business that bought it, decided it made sense to keep the headquarters where it had been created by Thomas Williams more than eight decades before. In the same year that Maybelline relocated its office from Chicago to Memphis, it made its final move, this time to New York.
What Sets Maybelline Apart from Other Cosmetics Brands
Maybelline has always had a reputation for being at the forefront of cosmetics innovation and fashion. The brand’s success is partly attributed to its dedication to creating high-quality products at reasonable prices.
Maybelline stands out from the crowd because of its competitive pricing and the steady stream of inventive new items it releases. Maybelline has a long history of innovation in the cosmetics market; for instance, the company’s introduction of the first non-greasy, water-based foundations sparked a revolution.
Maybelline’s dedication to integrating cutting-edge technology and the latest scientific findings in creating its products is another reason for its success. The company employs scientists and researchers who work tirelessly to innovate new items and enhance the company’s existing ones to fulfill consumers’ ever-evolving demands.
Like many successful companies, Maybelline has established a strong brand identity and client devotion. The company’s lengthy history of working with celebrities and influencers to market its goods has earned it a solid reputation in the beauty industry.
Maybelline has risen to the top of the cosmetics market because of its unique blend of low costs, cutting-edge products, dedication to R&D, and recognizable brand name.
View this post on Instagram
Maybelline’s Wide Range of Beauty and Grooming Products for Men and Women
Maybelline has a large selection of beauty products for both men and women. Maybelline sells the following types of products:
- Makeup: Maybelline’s makeup line includes foundations, concealers, primers, powders, blushes, bronzers, highlighters, eyeshadows, eyeliners, mascaras, and lipsticks. The brand also offers makeup palettes and sets for those who want to try various products.
- Skincare: Maybelline offers a variety of skincare products, such as cleansers, toners, serums, moisturizers, eye creams, and face masks. The company also sells products to address skin issues such as acne, dryness, and aging.
- Nail Polish: Maybelline offers a wide range of nail polish colors in regular and gel formulas. The company also sells nail polish removers and base and top coats.
- Hair Care: Maybelline provides various hair care products, such as shampoos, conditioners, styling products, and hair dyes.
- Grooming Products for Men: Maybelline also has a line of grooming products designed specifically for men, such as beard oils, balms, and trimmers.
- Perfume: Maybelline also has a line of fragrances for both men and women. These perfumes are available in various scents and sizes, making them an excellent gift option.
- Makeup brushes and tools: Maybelline sells a variety of makeup brushes and tools, such as foundation brushes, powder brushes, eyeshadow brushes, eyeliner brushes, and lip brushes. The company also sells makeup sponges, tweezers, and other makeup application tools.
- Body care: Maybelline offers a variety of body care products, such as body washes, lotions, and creams. The company also sells products to address specific body issues such as dry skin and cellulite.
- Sun care: Maybelline provides sun care products such as sunscreens and after-sun lotions to protect the skin from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Eye care: Maybelline also sells eye care products such as eye creams, eye masks, and eye serums to help with issues like puffiness, dark circles, and fine lines.
Maybelline also offers seasonal and limited edition products, gift sets, and bundles for those who want to try various products simultaneously.
View this post on Instagram
In conclusion, Maybelline is a leading cosmetics company that has achieved success by focusing on low-cost, high-quality goods, ongoing innovation, and a commitment to research and technology. The brand sells makeup, skincare, hair care, grooming goods for men and women, and seasonal and limited edition items. Maybelline’s strong brand identity and collaborations with influencers and celebrities have helped it build a devoted consumer base and establish itself as a trusted choice in the cosmetics business.