The mineral makeup approach is trendy nowadays. As more and more people opt to switch from traditional commercially produced makeup, many people are curious.
With the growing interest in safe, natural, and organic products, people also switch to mineral makeup, thinking that mineral means natural.
If you are also wondering, “What is mineral makeup?” – you are on the right page. Here’s everything you should know about mineral makeup.
What is Mineral Makeup?
Mineral makeup is made of natural materials extracted from the earth. It mainly contains minerals such as iron oxides, mica, talc, and zinc oxides, ground into tiny, shimmering particles to create makeup.
History of Mineral Makeup
Mineral makeup started commercially in the 1970s after one kindergarten teacher Diane Richardson Ranger started making her body products. However, minerals have been used for self-decoration and adornment since ancient times. One of the most famous beauties in ancient history was Cleopatra, who used kohl around the eyes to craft her famed look. Since then, mineral makeup has significantly evolved.
You may be asking, “What is the difference between “regular” makeup and mineral makeup?” “Don’t traditional makeup contain mineral ingredients such as mica and iron oxides?” Well, yes, they do. However, traditional cosmetics also contain many other ingredients.
If you’ve read through the ingredient list of most commercial makeup brands, you must have read ingredients such as artificial dyes, water, mineral oil, perfumes, and preservatives. The lack of these other ingredients makes minerals make minerals. Mineral makeup is free of those components. That would lead you to the next question; “What is mineral makeup made of then?”
Ingredients of Mineral Makeup
- Iron oxides – are mineral-developed compounds consisting of iron and oxygen. They function as a colorant. They are the primary pigments used to match your skin tone in foundations, powders, concealers, and other makeup for your face. They are also used in eye shadows, blushes, powders, and lipstick.
- Mica powders – is a fine sparkly powder from mica stones that creates an instant shimmering glow.
- Talc – is a mineral mined from the earth composed of magnesium, silicon, oxygen, and hydrogen. This soft mineral is commonly used in blush, eyeshadow, foundation, and beauty products. It gives makeup a silky texture that makes it easier to apply.
- Titanium dioxide – is a mineral composed of titanium and oxygen used as a pigment brightener. This natural pigment acts as a UV filter or whitening agent.
- Zinc oxide -is one of the main ingredients of mineral-based makeup. This fluffy white powder is a natural sunscreen, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory.
So, what distinguishes mineral makeup from most conventional makeup is what is left out instead of what is added.
Benefits of Mineral Makeup
Most people switching to mineral makeup want to go all-natural with their cosmetics for health benefits.
- Gentle ingredients stimulate healthy skin and don’t clog the pores
- It has natural ingredients which help heal, soothe, and protect the skin
- The ingredients are safe and can be used on sensitive skin and acne-prone skin
- The ingredients are bacteria-free and have no expiry
- Because it uses natural ingredients, it is free of potentially irritating chemicals, gluten, synthetics, preservatives, parabens, oils, and waxes.
- It has versatile pigments which can be used as body shimmer, blush, eyeliner, eye shadow, highlighter, lip color, and temporary hair color (wet or dry)
- It is water-resistant and stays longer on your skin
- It protects you by creating a barrier between the skin, elements, and free radicals and offers some sun protection
- Since it uses few ingredients, it means there is less risk of an allergic reaction
Good for Sensitive Skin
As mentioned earlier, mineral makeup does not contain any preservatives, binders, or fillers, so it is hypoallergenic. So you do not need to worry about any allergic reaction from using mineral makeup. Mineral makeup would be the best choice if you suffer from acne, eczema, rosacea, psoriasis, or have susceptible skin. Mineral makeup is perfect for any skin type and promotes clearer, healthier-looking skin over time.
Good for Oily Skin
As mentioned above, mineral makeup is suitable for all skin types, including oily skin, because the natural minerals can absorb oils. Because it is lightweight and non-drying, it provides coverage with no shine.
View this post on Instagram
Contains Natural Sunscreen
Another advantage of using mineral makeup is that natural sunscreen has main ingredients: Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide. These natural sunscreen ingredients make up two of the five total ingredients found in mineral makeup. It also contains anti-inflammatory properties and offers a calming effect on the skin.
Lessen Fine Lines and Wrinkles
The mineral makeup helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, plus it gives your skin that healthy, natural glow, making you look younger and more vibrant. It also helps hide and even reduce acne or skin problems.
View this post on Instagram
Don’t Need to Apply Too Much
Mineral makeup only needs little, unlike most makeups that need a good amount to get proper coverage. Known for being breathable and natural, it is perfect for achieving the no-makeup gorgeous, flawless look.
Aside from those benefits mentioned above, another advantage of using mineral makeup over conventional makeup is easy to remove. Mineral makeup wonderfully sticks to your skin and will last all day until you decide to take it off. You may use any cleanser to remove your mineral powders with little effort. You can also wipe it off using facial wipes or simply water and soap.
However, cleansing your face with just a cleanser and water may require doing it twice to remove most residues of your mineral makeup.
Use a microfiber facial washcloth to remove your mineral makeup for a thorough clean gently. Although there is no need to worry about having some of the minerals left on your skin because, unlike traditional makeup, mineral makeup does not cause any problems for your face as they are so gentle on the skin. Rest assured that your beautiful skin is protected when using mineral makeup products.
It is up to you to decide whether mineral makeup is better than traditional makeup.