Toners are widely misunderstood, and the vast majority of individuals are unsure if they should even try it. After washing your face with a cleanser, apply a toner to restore the skin’s natural pH balance (to a slightly acidic pH of around 5.5; cleansers typically make skin’s pH overly acidic, so toner helps bring it back down) and remove any remaining remnants of dirt, oil, or makeup. A facial toner, in other words, is a great tool for eliminating the buildup of dead skin cells on the surface of the skin and completing the cleansing process. Acne-prone skin might benefit the most from its use because it helps clear pores, shut them, and restore a healthy pH.
5 Benefits to Use a Toner in Your Beauty Routine
It’s a fact that people with oily or acne-prone skin will get great results from using toner. As it helps them more, they will praise it more. The face toner won’t just help these people. It will also help people with all different kinds of skin.
With these benefits of toner for the face, you’ll know why you shouldn’t leave it out of your beauty routine. They will also talk about what toner is used for.
1. Keeps the skin’s pH level even
The skin is acidic, so its pH level is between 5 and 6. Soap changes the pH balance of the skin because it is alkaline. It throws off the pH balance of the skin, which can make the skin red or flaky. Also, it gets more likely to get acne. The toner can instantly even out the pH level of your skin.
2. Shrinks pores
After cleansing, the toner can close pores and close up spaces between skin cells. It also makes it harder for dirt and germs to get deep into your skin. It can lead to skin problems, but the toner won’t let that happen.
3. An extra layer of security
Because chlorine and other chemicals are in tap water, it is not good for your skin. The toner protects the skin from the chemicals that are in tap water.
4. Keeps the skin moist
When you find the best toner, it will also help keep the skin moist. Rose water is also the best toner because it works well on all skin types. When you use it on your face, your skin feels moisturized, but after adding some other nutrients, it feels even better.
5. Refreshes the skin and keeps hair from growing into it
When your skin feels oily or dirty, you can use toner to wash it. Your skin will look clean and healthy. The ingredients in toner will also help stop the growth of hairs that grow into the skin.
What’s the difference between toner and astringent?
A simple way to explain the difference between a face toner and an astringent is that an astringent is usually made with solvent alcohols. Toners can also have alcohol in them, but they can also be made without alcohol. A toner without alcohol is easier on your skin than an astringent. You can also use them every day to help clean your skin even more.
Like a facial toner, an astringent makes pores look smaller. However, the alcohol can be too drying for sensitive skin, especially if you have a lot of it.
Some things that are used as astringents are calamine lotion, rubbing alcohol, silver nitrate, and witch hazel. When it comes to insect bites, fungal infections, and small skin irritations, astringent solutions are better than daily cleansers like toners.
What toners to use and what to avoid if you have oily skin?
Choose a toner that is made with ingredients that target the things that make oily skin stand out, like shiny skin, enlarged pores, and the look of pimples. For example, alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) can get deep into pores to exfoliate well and help clear out pores that are clogged.
Don’t use toners with ingredients like coconut and mineral oil, which are used to treat dry skin. Using these toners will make your oily skin worse.
Astringents are things that make pores smaller and dry out the skin. Toners that contain astringents are made to treat oily and acne-prone skin. But they have a lot of alcohol and can be too harsh and strip the skin of too much oil, which can cause irritation and dry patches even on oily skin.
Ingredients to look for: AHAs are a group of ingredients that can be found in toners that help to remove dead skin cells. AHAs like glycolic, citric, and lactic acids are used in many skin care products because they help treat dull, oily, and aging skin.
Glycolic acid gets rid of dead skin cells and extra oil on the face, which makes the skin look brighter, smoother, and more even. You can get the same results by using salicylic acid.
Some toners also have clay in them, which is a natural ingredient that absorbs oil and cleans the skin. When used in toners, it makes the skin feel clean and refreshed.
How to Use a Face Toner
- Start by washing your face with a gentle cleanser for sensitive skin that is right for your skin type. Choose one that doesn’t have any harsh detergents, like sodium lauryl sulfate, or scents.
- Wet a cotton ball with the toner that doesn’t have alcohol, and then rub it on your face.
- Give it time to dry.
- You can use an alcohol-free toner both day and night if you have combination or oily skin. If your skin is dry, you should only use it once a day, at night.
- Always use a moisturizer made for your skin type afterward.
- What you use to clean and tone your skin can make a big difference if you have sensitive skin. Dermatologists hear from millions of people who have sensitive skin and have had different reactions to products they used to use. Getting healthy, young, and beautiful skin starts with using the right cleanser on your sensitive skin.
- For sensitive skin, it’s important to find a gentle cleanser that doesn’t contain soap and a toner that doesn’t contain alcohol. This way, your skin won’t lose its natural oils and nutrients. Which cleanser you use should depend on your skin type. Alcohol-free toners are always the best choice for sensitive skin.
- Dermatologists agree that some ingredients can irritate sensitive skin and cause problems. One of these is sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), which is added to cleansers and bars of soap. This chemical that makes foam is actually a harsh detergent, and your skin may be too sensitive to handle it. Choose a cleanser that doesn’t have SLS or soap and, if possible, doesn’t have any plant ingredients. Plants, botanicals, herbal extracts, and essential oils often have side effects. Remember that most medicines come from plants. Make sure to wash your face at night with a cleanser that doesn’t have soap in it to get rid of dirt, makeup, and pollution that have built up. A morning cleanse can also help your skin be clean and ready for makeup and the day. Always use a moisturizer for sensitive skin that doesn’t have any scent.
- Don’t ever rinse with very hot or very cold water. People like lukewarm temperatures because they feel better on the skin. If the water temperature is too high or too low, capillaries may break. Always use a soft cloth to dry your skin, and pat it dry instead of rubbing it.
Because of its deep cleansing and moisturizing effects on the skin, toner is an essential component of the skincare routine for both men and women. Unexpectedly, it will work wonders on the skin as well. However, further measures must be taken, particularly for people who have oily skin or skin that is sensitive.