Castile soap is a versatile vegetable-based soap that is made without animal fats and synthetic ingredients. It is a natural non-toxic and biodegradable soap that you can get in either bar or liquid form. Before its use became popular in Europe, it was made in the Mediterranean area. Traditionally, it was made of olive oil, and its name came from the Castile region of Spain.
In the present time, castile soap is made with coconut, castor, or hemp oils. There are also some that are made using avocado, walnut, and almond oils. These oils make the soap lathering, moisturizing, and good for cleansing. Aside from being environmentally friendly, castile soap is also useful and effective for a lot of things. It’s because you can use it to clean your house, your pet, and your face, as well.
Today, we are going to see how castile soap can be used as a facial cleanser. If you are looking for other facial cleansers that will suit your skin, then you might want to consider using castile soap. In fact, having a bottle of castile soap can make you dump about half of your beauty products. So, let us see how castile soap is used for cleaning the face.
Benefits of Castile Soap on the Skin
Before knowing how it is used for cleaning the face, let us know first the benefits that castile soap can give to the skin.
- Can gently cleanse the skin without the toxins: Most soaps use toxic sulfates to get the lather that we are all used to. But castile soap does not have any chemicals, meaning it lathers naturally. It’s not like other soaps that can dry the skin, because it can cleanse and protect the skin at the same time due to its oleuropein, which is a compound with potent antibacterial effects.
- It is safe for sensitive skin: Since castile soap is made using safe and simple plant oils, it is safe even for the most sensitive skin types.
- It is great for oily and acne-prone skin: Castile soap contains oils that can penetrate the pores with their antibacterial agents. It means that it can clean the skin without drying it out.
- It can soothe and smooth dry and irritated skin: Castile soap has plant oils that are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids. These can help replenish the water level within the epidermis, which can result in supple and glowing skin.
- It is naturally hydrating: Castile soap has glycerin, which can absorb water from the surrounding air, keeping the skin moisturized naturally.
- Does not clog pores: Castile soap is made from olive oil, letting your skin breathe, and it also encourages the natural process of shedding dead skin cells.
- Can ease eczema, psoriasis, and more: Castile soap also has an anti-inflammatory compound called oleocanthal. This can help in reducing inflammation, which is the source of most skin conditions.
Castile Soap as a Foaming Face Wash
Since the face is the most prominent feature for most people, it should be treated with delicate care. When you search for skincare routines, the beauty industry will suggest you strip, exfoliate, and peel your face chemically. However, these solutions that they suggest usually create a vicious cycle, leading you to need more products.
If you want to take good care of your skin, the best way is by eating healthy foods and preserving the balance of natural oils that your body produces. When you use castile soap as a facial wash, it will not strip off the beneficial oils on your face, but it will still do what soaps are supposed to do, which is to remove dirt.
To use castile soap as a facial wash to cleanse your face, other than using it directly, you can also mix it with other ingredients to make it more beneficial to the skin. In fact, there are many different recipes of castile soap facial wash that you can try. Here are some that we found which you might want to try:
- Exfoliating Orange Castile Soap Face Wash: To make this facial wash, all you need are 8 ounces of liquid castile soap, 35 drops of sweet orange essential oil, and a teaspoon of finely ground orange peel. This is a simple yet effective facial cleanser. It is sweet, refreshing, and is perfect for easing inflamed skin. The orange peel can exfoliate the skin gently, leaving you glowing all day. However, you need to avoid excessive sun exposure after using orange oil because it can be phototoxic.
- Cooling Tea Tree and Eucalyptus Castile Soap Face Wash: For this facial wash, you will need 8 ounces of liquid castile soap, 25 drops of tea tree essential oil, and 15 drops of eucalyptus essential oil. This one is great from acne or blemish-prone skin. Its ingredients can help in cleansing the skin, removing bacteria to prevent further breakouts. And eucalyptus can help soothe and cool the skin at the same time to prevent irritation.
- Floral Gardens Castile Soap Face Wash: If you love floral scents, then this one is great for you. All you need are 8 ounces of liquid castile soap, 15 drops of lavender essential oil, and 25 drops of geranium essential oil. This wash can help improve the skin by stimulating cell growth. This can also work as an astringent. Aside from that, it can also ease acne and dermatitis. Since it has lavender, it can cool and calm the skin while encouraging skin cell growth at the same time.
- Tingling Peppermint Castile Soap Face Wash: For this recipe, you only need 8 ounces of liquid castile soap and 25 drops of peppermint essential oil. Peppermint can help stimulate circulation, and as well as tame oily and greasy skin. It has a high percentage of menthol, giving it a cooling effect on the skin. Just be careful because peppermint essential oil is strong. Do not use more than 25 drops, and avoid contact with eyes.
These are some of the best castile soap facial cleanser recipes we can recommend. But you can also come up with your own unique combinations, depending on what your skin needs. You can also try these Castile soaps for face washing:
- Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castile Bar Soap: This bar soap has a moisturizing lather that will not dry your face. It is made with only the purest and certified organic oils that will surely leave your skin feeling soft and smooth. It does not contain any chelating agents, dyes, whiteners, and synthetic fragrances.
- Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castile Liquid Soap: This liquid castile soap is made with organic oils and certified fair-trade ingredients. It contains plant-based ingredients and no synthetic preservatives. It is three times more concentrated compared to other liquid soaps. This means that you can dilute it for multiple uses.
- Splendor Santa Barbara Coconut & Castile Soap: This castile soap is made with basil, coconut, shea butter, and spearmint, leaving your skin silky smooth. It can also refresh and renew your face with a fresh, cool, green minty scent. It is a handcrafted soap that does not contain any chemicals.
- Carolina Castile Soap Bar: This castile soap is perfect for those with acne-prone and sensitive skin. It is a long-lasting soap bat that is triple-milled. It is made with raw olive oil and cocoa butter, leaving your skin smooth and hydrated. And since it has a creamy lather, you can also use it as a shampoo bar, and organic body wash.
Castile soap can indeed work well as a facial cleanser, especially if you are looking for a mild soap that is strong enough to remove dirt from your face without leaving it dry. If you are looking for a new skincare product to incorporate into your routine, you might want to give castile soap a try. But keep in mind that not all skins are the same. Therefore, it’s better to test it out first on a small part of your skin to see if there will be no negative reactions.