With roots in the early 1900s, trench coats are a pillar of fashion history. They began as useful military equipment but have since evolved into a dandy must for every trendy guy’s outfit. These coats have quite specific details like double-breasted fronts, belted waists, and shoulder epaulets that were all created with practicality in mind.
View this post on Instagram
Consider the fit
The fit must be taken into account while choosing a trench coat. An outfit can be improved, made more comfortable, and functional with the right trench coat. On the other side, a poorly -fitting trench coat may not look well and may be uncomfortable to wear. The conversation that follows emphasizes how critical fit is when deciding on a trench coat and provides advice on how to select a trench coat that fits well. With these recommendations, you can pick a trench coat that complements your sense of fashion and serves your functional demands.
- Tight or Loose: It is essential to find a balance between too tight and too loose when it comes to the fit of a trench coat. A trench coat that is too tight may restrict movement and be uncomfortable to wear. At the same time, a trench coat that is too loose may create a baggy or unflattering silhouette. The key is to try different sizes and styles, paying attention to the fit on the shoulders, chest, and waist. The trench coat should fit comfortably, allowing a full range of motion without being too tight or loose.
- Right Size: To start, grab a measuring tape and wrap it around the fullest part of your chest. Take note of the measurement so you can reference it later. Next, measure the distance between the end of each shoulder. This will give you a rough idea of your shoulder width. With these two measurements in hand, you’ll have a good idea of what size trench coat is best for you. No more guesswork, no more feeling like a sausage in a casing! You’re on your way to finding the perfect trench coat that fits you like a glove.
- Different Sizes and Styles: Trench coat sizes and styles might fluctuate significantly between brands and designs, so it’s crucial to keep that in mind. Trying it on is essential because of this. Keep a close eye on how your shoulders, chest, and waist fit. Furthermore, you must have complete freedom of movement when wearing the trench coat to avoid feeling constrained. Finding the ideal fit that suits your body type and personal style can be accomplished by trying on a variety of sizes and styles. Settle for nothing less than the best. You may locate the ideal trench coat that will always make you feel stylish and confident if you put some effort and patience into the search.
Consider the Length
When selecting a trench coat, the length is an essential factor. The length of a trench coat can affect the overall appearance and suitability of the coat for different occasions and outfits. This post will go over the significance of taking the length into account when selecting a trench coat. It will also provide tips on finding a trench coat with the perfect length. From choosing a length that hits at or just above the knee, to considering your height and personal preference, these tips will help you find a trench coat that is both stylish and appropriate for the occasion. By following these guidelines, you can confidently rock a trench coat that showcases your personal style and meets your practical needs.
- Hits at or Just Above the Knee: Regarding the length of a trench coat, it is generally best to choose a length that hits at or just above the knee. This length is considered the most versatile and stylish and can be worn with various outfits and occasions. A shorter length may be more modern and casual, while a longer length may be more formal and classic.
- Height and Personal Preference: When choosing the length of a trench coat, it is essential to consider your height and personal preference. For taller men, a longer length may be more proportionate and flattering, while for shorter men, a shorter length may be more suitable. It is also important to consider your personal style and the occasion when choosing the length. A shorter length may be more suitable for a casual outing. A longer length may be more appropriate for a formal event.
- Shorter or Longer Length: Depending on your style and the occasion, you may opt for a shorter or longer-length trench coat. A shorter-length trench coat may be more modern and casual and can be paired with jeans and sneakers for a laid-back and relaxed look. A longer-length trench coat may be more formal and classic and can be paired with dress pants and dress shoes for a sophisticated and polished look. Considering your style and the occasion, you can choose the length that best suits your needs and preferences.
Consider the Material
Making the correct trench coat choice might be challenging, but one of the most vital aspects to think about is the fabric. The coat’s lifespan, capacity to shield you from the elements, and performance in various weather conditions can all be perfectly influenced by the material. We’ll get to explore the essential things to take into account to keep in mind while picking the material for your trench coat, so the best decision can be drawn out.
- Waterproofing: Consider the level of waterproofing the material offers when selecting it for your trench coat. You need a material that will keep you dry and keep water from seeping in during sudden downpours. Look for materials that have received waterproofing treatment to be free from worries.
- Durable and Weather-Appropriate: Strong winds and torrential rain should not be able to harm the fabric you chose for your trench coat. Look for fabrics with a reputation for toughness, such as cotton, nylon, or canvas. Be mindful to ensure that the fabric is both light enough for warmer weather and thicker enough to keep you more comfortable throughout the winter months.
- Weight and Breathability: Since a trench coat is supposed to be worn over other layers, it’s vital to select a lightweight material. Cotton or linen are breathable textiles that will keep you cool and comfortable. However, if you reside in an area that is quite humid, you might want to choose a heavier material, like waxed cotton, that provides better rain protection.
Consider the Color
When selecting a trench coat, the color is a critical aspect to ponder upon. The market is saturated with a vast spectrum of hues, from neutral classics to daring and vibrant tones. Picking the right color can elevate your outfit and align with your personal fashion sense. In this article, we’ll delve into some key considerations to make when choosing the shade of your trench coat, including how to harmonize the color with your skin tone and style. Now, these are the pros of neutral and bold hues. By carefully thinking about the color of your trench coat, you can end up with a stunning piece that showcases your individual fashion flair.
- Classic Neutrals to Bold Shades: When selecting a trench coat, think about if you prefer a strong color like red, green, or yellow or a classic neutral tone like black, beige, or navy blue. Consider your personal style and the occasion you will be wearing the coat for when selecting a color because it will have a significant impact on the coat’s overall appearance and feel.
- Color that Complements Your Skin Tone and Personal Style : It’s crucial to pick a hue that goes well with your skin tone. Think about wearing colors like camel, olive, and rust if your skin tone is warm. Choose hues like blue, gray, and black if your skin tone is colder. Your skin will glow and your appearance will be improved with the proper hue.
- Neutral colors: Neutral colors, such as beige, grey, and black, are versatile and can be worn with any outfit. These classic shades are always in style and can be dressed up or down, making them an excellent choice for those who want a trench coat that is timeless and versatile.
- Bold colors: Bold colors, such as red or green, can add a pop of personality to an outfit. These shades are perfect for those who want to make a statement with their fashion choices. However, keep in mind that bold-colored trench coats may be harder to coordinate with your wardrobe. Hence, it is essential to consider whether you have enough pieces in your wardrobe to pair with them.
Consider the Styling Options
Trench coats are very adaptable and can be quickly dressed up or down to fit any event, which is one of their main selling points. There are several crucial factors to take into account when styling your trench coat to ensure you produce a look that feels confident and at ease and represents your better version of yourself.
- Dressed Up or Down: Think about whether you’ll be wearing it to formal or informal settings. Depending on the occasion and the clothing underneath, a timeless beige or black trench coat can be dressed up or down.
- Layering and Accessory Options: Choosing a trench coat that allows you to comfortably wear a sweater or blazer underneath is important because trench coats are made to be layered. You can add a splash of color and texture to your outfit and accessorize with a scarf, hat, or gloves.
- Pair a Trench Coat with Formal Attire: For a dressed-up look, pair your trench coat with a suit or dress slacks and a dress shirt. Choose a longer, belted trench coat to give your ensemble more refinement.
- Dress Down a Trench Coat with Casual Pieces: Wear your trench coat with jeans, sneakers, and a comfortable sweater to create a more relaxed appearance. For a more unforced and carefree look, think about a shorter trench coat.
Wrapping It Up
The ideal fusion of flair and utility is a trench coat. It can carry you from the office to the weekend in elegance and provide weather protection with the appropriate fit and design and making you comfortable the best way it could be. This is indeed a classic investment piece that will look well on you for many seasons to come. Never forget to take sustainability into account while making your choice, and go for something that reflects your morals.