Once associated with the cold weather months alone, leather has become a year-round staple in our wardrobe in recent seasons, despite being a perennial favorite in terms of hero pieces and stylish outfits. We’re now entering a leather-centric season with iconic leather pieces like dresses and mini skirts, which means investing in leather outfits for the next few months.
Nothing says badass like leather. However, not everyone understands how to wear it correctly, that is, how to pair it with the right items to maximize its potential. Leather does not have to be grungy and edgy; it can also be classy and soft. That being said, here are ways to wear your leather clothing while looking like a runaway model.
Wearing Leather Mini Skirts
A leather skirt is a wardrobe essential that is both stylish and timeless. It has a lot of versatility and is a fantastic piece to wear, especially in the fall. They’re available in different lengths and styles, including plain, long, ruffled, and short.
You can also use this guide to mini skirts as help!
Styles of Leather Skirts
Contrary to popular belief, you can purchase a leather skirt in almost any color. However, black ones are easier to style because they go with almost any color top. Experiment with numerous colors to see which one works best for you.
Circle, pencil, and pleated are some of the styles available. It can be worn high-waisted or low-waisted. If you want to wear a midi leather skirt, go for a pencil style. Those who favor short skirts will probably prefer pleated or circular skirts.
Choose a lightweight material for the midi length. You can get one with slits in the back, front, or sides to show some skin.
What Tops Should You Wear With a Leather Skirt?
View this post on Instagram
Consider the style of your outfit before choosing the best tops to wear with a leather skirt.
- A form-fitting top looks great with a skater or pleated style.
- A pencil skirt looks best with a loose-fitting top.
- Wearing denim or leather jackets with leather skirts or dresses may not make you look stylish. Check the mirror if you must wear such an outfit!
- You can wear about every colored top with a dark leather skirt, but colored skirts need to be worn with caution.
- A cream, white, or ivory collared shirt looks great with a black leather skirt.
What Shoes Should You Wear With a Leather Skirt?
The shoes you wear will be determined by the event you are attending. It is not necessary to match the colors of your shoes and skirt. If you must wear knee-length leather boots, make sure the style is appropriate.
- Wear simple shoes for casual outings, such as flats or sports shoes.
- Pick decorative sandals or other heeled shoes for a more feminine look. These are also appropriate for the summer.
- Sneakers are ideal for a night on the town.
- Avoid platform shoes for a more conservative look or work meetings. Put on some ankle boots, classic pumps, or pointed-toe flats.
- Plus-size and petite women will look stunning in bare feet.
- Dressing in all black from head to toe gives the impression of being tough. If you want to break up the monotony of this look, add a handbag, a necklace, a V-neck with a camisole in a different color, or a scarf. You can also wear a blazer with sleeves longer than the sleeves on the blazer.
- Warm footwear, such as lined boots, should be worn in the winter and fall, along with thick socks.
What to Wear to an Evening Out With a Leather Skirt
Wearing a leather skirt on a night out can be both fashionable and seductive. Although knee-length or shorter dresses are ideal for the occasion, any style and length will suffice. Even a mid-calf pencil style with a simple slit can be sexy. It is not as difficult to dress for a night out.
- Crop tops, spaghetti camisoles, sleeveless tees, and scoop-neck tees are appropriate for this look.
- Wear a blazer, sweater, or jacket if you prefer a more layered look.
- Choose a nude-toned top tucked in or a brief top and a low-waist skirt for a sexier look. You can also wear full-sleeved or collared shirts with a knee-length skirt.
- Floral tops are appropriate for dancing.
- What you wear beneath your skirt is determined by the length and style of your gown and the occasion.
- Tights, leggings, or stockings may be appropriate. These are available in embellished, fishnet, and nude styles.
- Some women wear toned leather pants with a mini leather skirt.
- Choose peep-toe stilettos, knee-high boots, or sexy heels for your shoes.
- To balance out the outfit, wear a belt over the skirt or top.
Tops for Every Occasion
- A pleated black skirt and a vibrant feminine top will suffice for evenings, clubs, parties, and street fashion.
- Choose feminine colors, embellishments, lace, or accessorize with jewelry to look girly.
- Try a tight top and a dark skirt with combat shoes for a tough look.
- Wear a short skirt with a long shirt or T-shirt to look extra sexy. Try a V-neck, sheer top, or sleeveless blouse as well.
- Keep things simple for conservative or office wear. Choose a knee-length skirt and pair it with tights, leggings, or stockings. Use a long cardigan or blazer with a modest top. A blazer with only one button sewn at the waist can complete the look.
- Layer your tops with a cardigan, trench coat, or jumper in the winter and fall.
- In the summer, go for brighter, lighter-weight tops.
Is it OK to Wear a Black Leather Skirt in the Summer?
View this post on Instagram
Wearing a black leather skirt in the summer is possible, depending on how hot the weather is, your activities, and the time of day. It will be fine if you visit a windy area or go horse or bike riding.
If you think the skirt will be uncomfortable, don’t wear it. Don’t dress to impress, to suffer in silence. Also, avoid wearing leather in hot weather.
Material and Design
- Choose a high-waisted, lightweight skirt with a cotton or silk lining for a better experience. If it is not lined, you should wear a cotton underskirt to keep cool.
- Because it is breathable, faux leather material is ideal.
- More ventilation will be provided by a skater or circle skirt.
- A flowy style is preferable to a pencil skirt in the summer because it will cling to you and make you extra hot.
- Choose bright colors, light fabrics, and styles that aren’t too formal. Tops with a turtleneck or a full neckline are not appropriate.
- Consider crop tops with a low cut, a V-neck, or a sheer overlay.
- A print shirt or a combination top in vibrant colors will keep you cool.
- A white T-shirt might be the perfect top to go with your skirt.
- Avoid tucking in your tops and avoid dark-colored ones.
- In a nutshell, your clothing should be light, loose, and bright.
- Remember that leather skirts look better with silver jewelry than gold jewelry.
- Accessorize with boyish footwear, neutral makeup, a large bag, and a simple hairstyle if you want to don all leather from head to toe.
- Select the appropriate texture for leather skirts and dresses.
Wearing Leather Dresses
Leather dresses exemplify high fashion and luxury. They are a very specific type of garment, reserved for those wanting to make a huge sartorial statement. Like most leather garments, leather dresses are typically at least partly fitted to the body.
You can purchase a leather dress from various stores, ranging from fast fashion to couture designers. Although doing it yourself is an option, genuine leather is a tough material to work with.
Here’s a glance at the various types of leather dresses available today and how to wear them. This guide to dresses can also help!
Types of Leather Dresses
There are numerous types of leather dresses. There’s a leather dress for everyone, no matter who you are or your style!
Faux Leather Dresses
Faux leather dresses are any dress that is made of faux leather instead of genuine leather. Faux leather is a plastic product that ranges from nearly indistinguishable from real leather to exceedingly plasticky.
Faux leather is also available in various finishes, such as matte or patent. You can even use these materials to imitate other animal leathers, such as snakeskin or alligator!
Faux leather dresses are an excellent choice for those who want to try on a leather dress but wouldn’t want to spend a lot of money on an authentic leather dress. Because faux leather is durable and can be a highly close match to genuine leather, the possibilities for these dresses are limitless.
Leather Shirt Dress
Shirt dresses are dresses designed to look like – you guessed it – a shirt, most commonly a button-down shirt. They are frequently partially tailored but generally loose-fitting, making them an excellent compromise between casual and formal. Shirt dresses are available in various sub-styles, each of which conveys a different impression.
A shirt dress with a waist belt and puff sleeves, for example, feels feminine and light, whereas a traditional-cut flannel shirt dress has a more masculine, solid vibe. Shirt dresses are usually made of softer fabric, but leather shirt dresses are becoming increasingly popular. Leather shirt dresses are an interesting mix of edgy material and soft style that are mostly open for higher-end retailers and excellent options for professional settings.
Faux Leather Bodycon Dress
Bodycon dresses are completely form-fitting dresses named for their “body-conscious” fit. Bodycon dresses are typically made of heavier materials to maintain shape and enhance the wearer’s body.
Faux leather bodycon dresses are among the most popular options on this list for those who want to look sexy and edgy. These leather dresses are extremely versatile, with various colors and finish to choose from. Because they use faux leather, they are almost always a less expensive alternative to genuine leather.
Because the style usually calls for heavier material, so faux leather bodycon dresses are frequently made from a more natural material. They may also have functional zippers or stretch panels for a better fit.
Long Leather Dress
These leather dresses are any leather dress with a skirt that extends beyond the mid-calf. Gone are the times when only goths could pull off long leather gowns!
Longer styles are difficult to find nowadays, but they can make a big statement. Of course, the extra material comes at a higher price, even with faux leather, so this is an investment.
Full-Length Leather Dress
Full-length leather dresses are made of leather and have a skirt that extends to at least the ankle, covering the entire leg. Full-length leather gowns appear to look best on the red carpet or the runway.
Full-length leather dresses are usually exorbitantly expensive and impractical due to the greater amount of material used. On the other hand, a full-length leather dress might be the ideal choice for somebody looking for a high-fashion look.
Vegan Leather Dress
These garments are made of faux leather, which is composed of plastics. Faux leather can look eerily similar to genuine leather, but it is typically much less expensive. This makes vegan leather dresses an excellent choice for those who avoid using animal products and those looking for a low-cost leather dress.
Leather Sheath Dress
A sheath dress is a classic silhouette, commonly knee-length or slightly longer, and is fitted with subtle sewing techniques. Sheath dresses are usually conservative and high-cut, though some lower-cut sheaths are available.
A leather sheath dress makes a strong impression. These dresses are universally flattering because they strike the perfect balance between conservative and form-fitting. These outfits would look great in a professional setting or a more formal party.
Formal Leather Dress
Formal dresses are reserved for formal events and are typically made from higher-quality materials than an average dress, with embellishments or special styles. Contrary to popular belief, you can wear leather to a formal event. Tea-length or knee-length leather formal dresses combine the edginess of leather with softer, more feminine silhouettes and cuts.
A fashionista’s dreams are leather dresses and mini skirts. These leather garments are a surprisingly wearable and flattering blend of edgy and classy, practical, and “extra.”
Although many people are unsure how to wear them or are put off by their price tag, the availability of leather mini skirts and dresses in various styles and materials means there is truly something for everyone.