When you go to beauty stores, you will find lots of facial cleansers available, and they come in different kinds. Some of the most popular facial cleansers are cleansing foams and brushes.
A cleansing foam or brush is like a power tool that is used for skincare routines. It usually has a battery-operated motor that enables the brush head to move in a repetitive motion. Some of them move in a circular motion, while others in back and forth motion. For it to work, it is combined with certain types of facial cleansers. The motor and bristles of cleansing brushes help in removing dirt and makeup from the skin, and at the same time, exfoliate more effectively compared to washing by hand.
If you are using cleansing foams and brushes, or you’re thinking of using them, then maybe you need to know their pros and cons, as well. This way, you’ll further understand when and how they should be used.
Pros of Using Cleansing Foams and Brushes
Here are the benefits that your skin will get when you use cleansing foams and brushes:
- Super Smooth and Glowing Skin: Cleaning foams and brushes are great when it comes to sweeping away dead skin cells, as they can do it faster and more effectively. They are better compared to using facial cleansers that contain micro-beads, which are not very good for the skin. A cleansing brush works better and faster at removing grime, dirt, sebum, and other debris on the face effectively. Aside from that, it can also help you save a lot of time during your cleansing routine.
- Skin Trauma is Good in Small Doses: When you cleanse your face using a foam or brush, it will give your skin trauma. But that does not necessarily mean it’s bad for your skin. It’s because skin trauma, in small doses, is good because it triggers the skin to be in repair mode. This helps in stimulating cellular regeneration, which is beneficial for the skin. Aside from that, cleansing brushes and foams can also help in smoothing and fading out blemishes and pimple marks.
- Get an Instant Facelift: The use of cleansing foams and brushes also promote blood flow and restoration of skin vitality. This means that they can help reveal much younger-looking skin after use because of the fast cell turnover. It is just like getting a facelift, but cheaper.
Cons of Using Cleansing Foams and Brushes
Here are the disadvantages of using cleansing foams and brushes:
- Can Lead to Over Exfoliation: When you use cleansing foam or brush, you can easily go overboard with exfoliation. This happens especially to first-timers who are excited to use their new cleansing brush. Over exfoliation is one of the main causes of premature aging and skin irritation. Therefore, if you will be using a cleansing brush, do not go overboard with it 4 to 5 times a day, unless you want to look a couple of years older.
- Can Trigger Production of Melanin: If your skin is extremely reactive to stimulation, then using cleaning foams and brushes is not for you. It’s because it can lead to post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Therefore, when you choose to use cleansing foams, brushes, scrubs, or washcloths, it is important to be cautious. Keep in mind that when melanin activity is triggered, it can result in skin discoloration.
- Can Cause Breakouts: When you use a cleansing brush for the first time, your skin will go through a purge as the dirt and grime are being removed. They may go away on their own, eventually. However, your skin can also get inflamed from the brushing. If this happens, then stop using the device and stick to using mild face scrubs. You also need to limit exfoliation to once every week.
Those are the pros and cons of using cleansing foams and brushes. If you are looking into trying them out, then here are some of the best ones we can recommend.
This cleansing brush set includes 3 brush heads with 1 silicone head. It comes in a protective travel case that you can use when going to different places. This tool is water-resistant, meaning it’s safe to use in the bath or shower, as well. It has 2-speed settings with powerful rotary spin. It will give you the option between daily deep cleansing and gentle exfoliation.
This brush features an advanced microdermabrasion scrub system that can remove make-up, dirt, and oil from pores. It can also help in reducing fine lines and wrinkles, as well as blackheads. This device can also help prevent acne, and it renews your skin texture, too.
This electric facial cleanser has an ergonomic handle with a rubberized grip for an easy hold. It is powered by 4 AA batteries. It comes with 4 different attachment brushes, including a delicate bristle brush for sensitive skin, a large scrub brush for body scrubbing, a facial sponge for your daily cleansing routine, and pumice to help remove calluses and dead skin from your hands and feet.
This facial cleanser is waterproof, meaning you can bring it in the shower or bath to use with your cleaning ritual. You can use this product to deep clean your skin and pores without the worry of water damaging it.
This facial brush comes with 6 brush heads, including two cleansing brush heads, one massage head, one makeup sponge, one crude polish accessory, and a pumice stone. These six different brush heads will meet all your skin cleansing needs. This brush is designed with soft bristles, so you can use it for deep pore cleansing and gentle exfoliation.
This brush also has 2-speed settings so you can personalize your cleansing routine. It has a powerful rotary spin and 2 intensities to choose from, from weak to strong. You can lower it for gentle cleansing and exfoliation, and make it faster for deep cleansing. It is a waterproof facial brush, and it requires 2 AA batteries to work.
This facial cleansing brush by Olay features 3 speeds, and it comes with a replaceable brush head, microdermabrasion foam head, thermal crystal polisher, exfoliating renewal cleanser, and 2 AA Duracell batteries. It is a dermatologist-designed product that delivers proven results. It claims to exfoliate better compared to plain facial scrubs, for visibly brighter and more even skin tone.
The thermal crystal polisher of this cleanser brush can help in polishing away dull patches gently for smoother and more radiant skin. The cleanser it comes with can provide gentle exfoliation while cleansing.
This silicone facial cleansing face brush has four functions, including makeup remover, deep cleaning, essence absorption, and as well a v-line fitting. It can gently clean pores to remove dead skin, oil, makeup residues, and blackheads, making your skin smoother.
This facial cleansing silicone face brush is made of food-grade silicone, which is safe and non-irritating. It has a fine brush that suits all skin types. It is as gentle as hands but can clean deep into the skin. It is also safe to be used when taking a shower or bath.
These are some of the best cleansing brushes we can recommend if you want to try using one. But remember, use them with caution and see the reaction on your skin first, before continuing the use.